Skip to main content

One more unexpected, amazing bird to end the Big Year

30 December 2021

How this Green Big Year ended was bittersweet and completely unexpected. It was also a terrible day as entire neighborhoods burned to the ground in Boulder County in an almost unbelievable (but not an unsurprising) fire, fueled by 80-100+ mph winds. I was seeing reports of a couple fires in Boulder County, which were 25-30 miles to our north, but I didn't know the extent of what was going on. I had planned to work the rest of the afternoon since my morning/day birding plan was thwarted by the wind forecast, but I decided to go for a walk instead. I walked to my patch (Clement Park) to see what the smoke plume from the Boulder county fire(s) looked like. It felt a little wrong to go see what was happening, but I also assumed it was just a grass fire at this point because I didn't know where the fire was precisely. The winds, at times, were pretty strong on top of the hill at the park, but the 360 degree view from the top is pretty amazing. The dust being kicked up to the south and southwest almost looked like something you'd expect to see on the beach or in the desert on a windy day.

The winds were howling at times, while at other times they were completely calm. The smoke plume was pretty extensive, and by the shape and height of the plume, it was clearly being blown east by very strong winds. The smoke was black, which should have told me it was structures burning and not just grass. 

Anyway, I noticed several hundred gulls on the mostly frozen reservoir, which was odd as I hadn't seen more than 75 or so for the last few weeks. Instead of going home, I walked down to the lake shore to look through the gulls and see if I can find anything other than a Ring-billed Gull. I was on the sandy/dirt shoreline on the east side of the reservoir and it got very calm. The winds had been 20-30 mph with stronger gusts at times. Yet it became completely calm. The calm and overall ambiance was quite eerie honestly. The calmness felt so strange with the big gusts we were having now and again which gave me flashbacks of the time a buddy and I rode out Hurricane Katrina (on the west side and we were 150 miles inland, but it was still wicked!). 

As I was scanning the gulls in complete calm, I heard a very distinct raspy, harsh two-note call just about overhead. I immediately thought, "What the heck was that?" But quickly realized, upon hearing it a second time, that it was a SNOW BUNTING! I heard the two-note call three more times, and in spite of frantically trying to find the bird overhead, I never saw it. Maddening! I even put on my sunglasses real quick, which are polarized and are often very helpful in finding birds I hadn't otherwise seen. No dice. I walked all over the shoreline hoping to flush the bird, but the strong winds returned. It was pointless. I walked one last pass along the shoreline and then down the berm that is supposed to hold the reservoir in, but it never really plays that purpose for a variety of reasons. I was nearly blown off and sandblasted at the same time. It got really wicked out there, so I booked it home. I can't imagine trying to fight a wildfire in something like that. It's no surprise the Boulder fire was so catastrophic.


The scene of the Snow Bunting encounter.

Just last week I had listened to a lot of Snow Bunting calls in preparation for trying to relocate the bird Steve Mlodinow had at Aurora Reservoir. If you recall, I rode 72 miles for a Red-necked Grebe the previous week, but I was also on alert for the Snow Bunting in the area. If there's one thing I've learned as a birder over the years is that you should expect the unexpected and be prepared for the unlikely bird. Know your birds. And know your bird calls. If you know me and have ever birded with me, you know I'm an ear birder! I don't know every call or flight note, of course, but I'm constantly listening for birds near and distant when out birding, or when talking with neighbors while shoveling snow, drinking beer and cooking on my griddle in the yard with, or really any time I'm outside doing anything. I'm always listening. :)

My preparation paid off big time on this one though. I had spent significant time preparing for a flyover or for flushing a Snow Bunting over the last couple weeks. Although I don't have much experience with Snow Buntings, having only seen/heard them a few times, being prepared is priceless. The time I spent listening to call of similar yet different species like Lapland Longspur, Common Redpoll, and others paid dividends. 

As frustrating as it was not seeing the Snow Bunting, having those minutes of calm in which I very clearly heard the bird call five times was incredible. Of course I was excited and I frantically checked my bird apps to make sure I had the ID right. I was excited, but I also quickly heard about the devastation in Louisville and Superior and my enthusiasm waned. I wondered if I know anyone directly who lost their home. I wondered if everyone made it out of the flames. My wife works every other Thursday in a doctors office attached to the hospital in Louisville that was evacuated, but fortunately this was her Thursday in another office. Luckily the hospital didn't burn down, but it sustained significant smoke damage and is closed for a while.

I told a few friends about the Snow Bunting, but didn't bother to submit an eBird report until the next morning. I realize it made no difference since surely the bird was gone and no one was going to be chasing in the last 45 min of daylight in tropical storm force winds. It just didn't feel right to report the bird when way more important and tragic things were going on in the area.

The interesting part of the entire situation is that I had been walking the extensive shoreline at Clement Park for the last couple weeks hoping to find a Snow Bunting. I was just walking and hoping, just with little to no hope, of actually finding a Snow Bunting. I never thought it'd actually happen as finding one is completely against the odds. But this is also why you go out looking for birds. You don't find good birds if you don't go look. I have proven that point many times over this year!  And I ended the year with a prime example of the value of knowing bird vocalizations, knowing what to look for, when and where to look, and simply spending time in the field pays dividends. Of course, those who pledged per species for my green year probably wished I'd just stayed home at this point!

What a bittersweet way to get the last bird of the big year. I couldn't have scripted a better end to the year (but we could do without the fire!). It was amazing to have a self found local mega-rarity to end the year. The Snow Bunting is the 3rd eBird record for Jefferson County, my first in the county (only because I didn't bother to chase a bird that stuck around for a week or so a couple years ago), a new bird for my patch (all time Clement Park bird #181!), and Green Big Year bird #285. There was some weird Joe luck happening this day! I'll take it! Unfortunately, and not unsurprisingly, the bird wasn't seen again the next day.



I mean why wouldn't a snow bunting drop in here at some point????
This is the view the next morning (Dec 31) during the fruitless search.





The last morning of the Big Year.

Final Totals:
Green Big Year species list: 285
Miles ridden: 3,125
Elevation gain in 2021: 128,000 ft
# of trips to Chatfield State Park: 45
2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year Species List

Donate here to the new Joe Roller Memorial Grant. Thank you.

Thanks for reading!
Scott

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year

Welcome to the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year Blog! The Colorado birding community lost one of its pillars when Joe Roller passed away in November 2020. Joe was a fountain of birding lore and loved people as much as birds. Many considered him a beloved friend.  To honor Joe's legacy, I've partnered with Colorado Field Ornithologists (CFO) and created the Joe Roller Memorial Grant to support bird research in Colorado.  The grant will be initially funded by pledges raised through my 2021 Green Big Year, a green (carbon-free) birding initiative. I will be walking or riding my bike from my house in Littleton, Colorado to see as many species as possible in 2021. My 2020 green list is currently 244 species, but I am aiming for at least 250 bird species in 2021!  I'll update this blog with adventures, birds, and photos throughout the year. We are taking per-species pledges and flat tax-deductible donations towards the Grant online at  https://Cobirds.org/CFO/Grants . (Scr

The bird that topped the Colorado Green Big Year record

17 December 2021 On Tuesday, December 14th, Steve Barlow found a female Black-and-white Warbler at Wheat Ridge Greenbelt in well, Wheat Ridge. Of course I had three full days of meetings and calls and there was no way I could go for the bird until Friday the 17th. I saw regular reports of the bird in the same area, and a little to the west over those 3 days. It turns out there is a second Black-and-white, a boldly marked male, to the west of the female most of us were chasing. Anyway, I was hopeful it'd stick another day in spite of some chilly night time temperatures.  I got up on Friday and it was about 16 degrees. I decided to wait until it was in the mid-20's before I headed out. As I'm hoping to get word about the bird being present, I get a text from none other than Thomas Heinrich with a message about the bird being there and "where are YOU?!" Thomas knew I was going for it on Friday morning, but he didn't tell me he was going to leave at 4:15 am on his

Big ride for big time green year birds.

First and foremost, thank you for all the pledges and donations! The total pledges so far have been astonishing! Between donations and pledges per species (assuming I hit 250 species), we are about 70% of the way to our $20,000 target! I think Joe would probably roll his eyes and tell a joke about the time we chased what would be his first Arapahoe county Brown Thrasher at Cherry Creek State Park. We saw the thrasher fly away and vanish and then Joe gave me slack for not getting him better looks!   Please consider a tax-deductible donation or pledge per species (pledges do not need to be paid until the 2021 green year ends). The pledges and donations are motivating me to get out and get birds. I'm truly humbled. Thank you. This is going to be such a fun year! Click the link (scroll to the bottom) to pledge or donate!  https://cobirds.org/CFO/Grants/ January 2021 overview (and then the birds!). I thought I'd start off with a little overview of my general strategy for this green