Skip to main content

The last new Green Big Year Bird?

27 December 2021

On the 26th, some new to the area birders reported an immature Trumpeter Swan south of Chatfield State Park at Aurora Rampart Reservoir in Douglas County. This isn't the Aurora Reservoir I rode 72 miles round trip to last week. Thank goodness! The report sounded pretty good, but I couldn't go until the next day. I asked Joey Kellner if he could check out the bird Monday morning and let me know if the bird was there and what he thought about the ID. Swans are notoriously hard to ID. Joey doesn't live too far away and he was willing to help me out again. About 730, Joey sends me a completely back lit silhouette photo and it was clearly a Trumpeter! I was barely starting breakfast, totally just dragging around the house trying to get kids to eat, and now I want to go chase!

About 745 am or so I decided it was time to load up and head out. I checked my weather apps, as I hadn't been outside yet. It was 14 degrees! WHAT!? I didn't think it was getting THAT cold. I hope Joey had his hat and jacket! He said the bird flew a bit, but came closer to the road. That the bird was flying around gave me motivation to finish some chores that needed to be done before heading out, plus it'd warm up a tad in that time.

My favorite weather app said it was 20 degrees when I left, but I think it was closer to 26. Still chilly, but not too bad. My good friend Kathy said she'd meet me there with her scope and tripod, so I didn't need to lug mine. And also she asked how I like my coffee! Yay!

I leave at 8:45 am. During the hour and fifteen minute ride, I thought a lot about this year and how much Joe luck I had getting birds. Maybe I'd get lucky again and the bird would be there when I arrived. I thought a lot about this year, how we are honoring Joe and paying it forward to future ornithologists and promoting good bird research in Colorado, and all from me pedaling around town. It's been a total blast doing this green big year. So many fun days and awesome birds with friends. It has been a hell of a successful year and getting another bird or two is icing on the cake (again, I want cake). Joe would have also likely told me to just let the swan go and stay home with coffee and build more Legos with the kids. I also wondered why my legs were not turning over quickly. It felt like I was peddling squares in molasses. Then I thought about whether the bird would stick another hour or so. After a while, I zoned out and just watched for glass on the paths and roads and tried to pedal efficiently. 

It's a lot of climbing once I leave Chatfield State Park, meaning a slow go, plus it's still pretty chilly. The last climb up to the viewing area above the reservoir is a beast and I was tired! However, I set a personal record on a couple climbs on the way there, so I guess I was riding better than I was feeling! It's amazing I have the legs I do after this long year. What a success!

Kathy was there when I arrived and had the bird in her scope. I got off my bike and got a look before it tucked in to sleep again. We enjoyed the bird for a while, and a Bald Eagle flew around and got everything in a tizzy, which also woke the swan up, providing for a better photo opp. We scoped the reservoir, which was half frozen, and found my Douglas county first of the year ring-necked ducks and canvasback. How'd I not get ring-necked duck in Douglas until today?? Birding is funny.


A couple digiscope shots.
You work for the views, but they are nice. You can't forget to take in the scenery. It isn't just about the birds.

I made Kathy do a selfish with me. If this is the last new green year bird that I get, it was a great morning and experience and AWESOME way for this to end.
And the coffee was SO GOOD!!

Kathy with Jim and Karen Schmoker, whom I have randomly run into birding about 15 times this year. It's always a pleasure to see them and chit chat about birds and life. The people during this year are what have made it so fun. 

Aurora Rampart Reservoir. The swan is down there somewhere.

View from west side of Chatfield State Park. There was just something about the lighting as I was heading home, so I stopped to take some photos. I, more or less, plan to come back to Chatfield one last time during this green year, but if I don't, I have a photo of the last time I rode through during this epic year. I've been here 45+ times this year and all have been memorable (ok, a couple could be forgotten), but stopping and taking it in for a minute and reminiscing about the birds and fun was special.

Totals:
Green Big Year species list: 284 (as of Dec 27)
Miles ridden: 3103 (as of Dec 27)
Elevation gain in 2021: 128,000 ft
# of trips to Chatfield State Park: 45
2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year Species List

Pledge or donate here to the new Joe Roller Memorial Grant. Thank you.

Thanks for reading!
Scott

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year

Welcome to the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year Blog! The Colorado birding community lost one of its pillars when Joe Roller passed away in November 2020. Joe was a fountain of birding lore and loved people as much as birds. Many considered him a beloved friend.  To honor Joe's legacy, I've partnered with Colorado Field Ornithologists (CFO) and created the Joe Roller Memorial Grant to support bird research in Colorado.  The grant will be initially funded by pledges raised through my 2021 Green Big Year, a green (carbon-free) birding initiative. I will be walking or riding my bike from my house in Littleton, Colorado to see as many species as possible in 2021. My 2020 green list is currently 244 species, but I am aiming for at least 250 bird species in 2021!  I'll update this blog with adventures, birds, and photos throughout the year. We are taking per-species pledges and flat tax-deductible donations towards the Grant online at  https://Cobirds.org/CFO/Grants . (Scr

Big ride for big time green year birds.

First and foremost, thank you for all the pledges and donations! The total pledges so far have been astonishing! Between donations and pledges per species (assuming I hit 250 species), we are about 70% of the way to our $20,000 target! I think Joe would probably roll his eyes and tell a joke about the time we chased what would be his first Arapahoe county Brown Thrasher at Cherry Creek State Park. We saw the thrasher fly away and vanish and then Joe gave me slack for not getting him better looks!   Please consider a tax-deductible donation or pledge per species (pledges do not need to be paid until the 2021 green year ends). The pledges and donations are motivating me to get out and get birds. I'm truly humbled. Thank you. This is going to be such a fun year! Click the link (scroll to the bottom) to pledge or donate!  https://cobirds.org/CFO/Grants/ January 2021 overview (and then the birds!). I thought I'd start off with a little overview of my general strategy for this green

Tis the end of the Green Year

27 January 2022 Well the Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year is over.  As the year was winding down, the reality of the end of this amazing year started to set in. I admit that I was a little bummed that it was coming to an end. Of course, one person said to just do it again 2022 and let's raise more funds for the Roller Grant. HAHA! I'd be sleeping on the couch if I had considered doing that again! I'm also pretty sure my bikes and body (and leave balance at work) wouldn't hold up either! Joking aside, it was a little bit of a downer as the last days of the year came fast like a Peregrine Falcon on a flock of unsuspecting shorebirds. Suddenly the year was over. I've done 98% of my birding on foot or bike from my house since the pandemic began, so I thought the shifting of gears was likely going to be a shock to the system. I think the end of the year snuck up on me because of the "winter" was unseasonably warm with 50 and 60+ degree temperatures, incredibl