Skip to main content

I waited until the end of the year for a 70+ mile ride.

22 December 2021

One of the birds I was about to miss for the year was Red-necked Grebe. Usually there's a couple birds reported around and there were a couple this year, but they were either never relocated, photos showed a Pied-billed Grebe, I never found them or didn't get to try for them for whatever reason. On the 21st, Steve Mlodinow found/refound a Red-necked Grebe at Aurora Reservoir. One had been reported there off and on this "winter" but not seen with any frequency, or maybe people were't looking. Steve also had a Snow Bunting, so I decided to hydrate and carb load and just go for it the next morning. 

I had scouted out the route to Aurora Reservoir via google maps a few times, but now it was time to actually ride it. The first 18 miles was to and through Cherry Creek State Park, which was no biggie. I know that route too well. The last 13 miles or so were all new roads and paths. The beauty of the Denver metro is I was able to ride from Cherry Creek almost to the reservoir on bike paths! Of course I had never been on these miles of paths, they split at 5 point intersections what seemed like a dozen times, and I had to check my map about 10 times, but at least I only made one wrong turn along the way. It turns out it's slightly uphill what seemed like most of the way from Cherry Creek to Aurora Reservoir. Upon getting to the reservoir, it took a minute to actually see where the gate was to access the park and figure out how to get around. 

It took about 2.5 hours of riding just to get there, then I had to ride around on the path to start birding! There were SO MANY BIRDS. The "winter" has been so warm that there's no ice on the big reservoirs yet. Not good for many reasons, but good for cycling and birding, and good if you want to look through bazillions of geese and gulls. I rode around to the swim beach and meet up with Kevin Williams who was on the grebe when I arrived! I got out my scope and got on it as well. The grebe is Green Big Year Bird #283!


Poor digiscope of the Red-necked Grebe!

Thanks to Kevin for this. I was pretty whooped after riding there, 
and there's no shame in sitting and scoping (and eating)!

This beast of an Iceland Gull (Thayer's) flew in and landed nearby.

We think this is a Cackling x Ross's Goose hybrid

After we got the grebe and scoped the reservoir quite a bit, we went to where the Snow Bunting had been the day before. I didn't think we'd find it and we didn't. But there were THOUSANDS of Cackling Geese to look through. I put 15,000 Cackling on my list at the end of the day. No joke! I looked through the majority of them for a Brant and didn't find one. But I found several Greater White-fronted Geese, the Snow Goose below, 3 Ross's Geese, and several likely Snow x Cackling Goose hybrids. I ended up with quite decent number of species for December.

This blue Snow Goose caught me off guard. I assumed it was another wonky hybrid, but alas it was not!

Nice scenery looking west from the dam.

Those are lines of Cackling Geese.

I worked around the reservoir for snow bunting and anything else I could find. No bunting, no brant, etc. At least I got one bird for the year. The weather was pretty good for a LONG day in the saddle. And the views were really nice. On the bright side, I knew the way back to Cherry Creek and it was mostly downhill. It took me 20% less time getting home. Thank goodness too, because I was sore. This was my longest ride in years. This ride also happened at the end of a year when I've ridden more miles than I have in probably 8-9 years! I'm over 3100 miles now. Phew! 

Anyway, as I was riding very slow through a neighborhood a couple miles from home, I had my THIRD Common Redpoll of year flyover calling. I guess there's perks of riding a whopping 10 mph when you're completely worn out and sore. I've now had a single redpoll in each of 3 counties and all within 3 miles of my house. 

At this point, I'm fairly certain Joe would have said to just pack it in and call it a year, job well done. But I'm stubborn and I had to try for more birds. I stop at dark on the 31st :) And with that, Joe would be rolling his eyes, but say something funny and complementary, I hope. I think Joe would be honored with what we've done this year. It's been a blast.

The view from the south end of Cherry Creek State Park was quite lovely.


This is why I was tired!!!

Totals:
Green Big Year species list: 283 (as of Dec 22)
2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year Species List

Pledge or donate here to the new Joe Roller Memorial Grant. Thank you.

Thanks for reading!
Scott


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year

Welcome to the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year Blog! The Colorado birding community lost one of its pillars when Joe Roller passed away in November 2020. Joe was a fountain of birding lore and loved people as much as birds. Many considered him a beloved friend.  To honor Joe's legacy, I've partnered with Colorado Field Ornithologists (CFO) and created the Joe Roller Memorial Grant to support bird research in Colorado.  The grant will be initially funded by pledges raised through my 2021 Green Big Year, a green (carbon-free) birding initiative. I will be walking or riding my bike from my house in Littleton, Colorado to see as many species as possible in 2021. My 2020 green list is currently 244 species, but I am aiming for at least 250 bird species in 2021!  I'll update this blog with adventures, birds, and photos throughout the year. We are taking per-species pledges and flat tax-deductible donations towards the Grant online at  https://Cobirds.org/CFO/Grants . (Scr

The bird that topped the Colorado Green Big Year record

17 December 2021 On Tuesday, December 14th, Steve Barlow found a female Black-and-white Warbler at Wheat Ridge Greenbelt in well, Wheat Ridge. Of course I had three full days of meetings and calls and there was no way I could go for the bird until Friday the 17th. I saw regular reports of the bird in the same area, and a little to the west over those 3 days. It turns out there is a second Black-and-white, a boldly marked male, to the west of the female most of us were chasing. Anyway, I was hopeful it'd stick another day in spite of some chilly night time temperatures.  I got up on Friday and it was about 16 degrees. I decided to wait until it was in the mid-20's before I headed out. As I'm hoping to get word about the bird being present, I get a text from none other than Thomas Heinrich with a message about the bird being there and "where are YOU?!" Thomas knew I was going for it on Friday morning, but he didn't tell me he was going to leave at 4:15 am on his

Big ride for big time green year birds.

First and foremost, thank you for all the pledges and donations! The total pledges so far have been astonishing! Between donations and pledges per species (assuming I hit 250 species), we are about 70% of the way to our $20,000 target! I think Joe would probably roll his eyes and tell a joke about the time we chased what would be his first Arapahoe county Brown Thrasher at Cherry Creek State Park. We saw the thrasher fly away and vanish and then Joe gave me slack for not getting him better looks!   Please consider a tax-deductible donation or pledge per species (pledges do not need to be paid until the 2021 green year ends). The pledges and donations are motivating me to get out and get birds. I'm truly humbled. Thank you. This is going to be such a fun year! Click the link (scroll to the bottom) to pledge or donate!  https://cobirds.org/CFO/Grants/ January 2021 overview (and then the birds!). I thought I'd start off with a little overview of my general strategy for this green