Skip to main content

Northern Waterthrush #250 and the emotional roller coaster of a big year

30 August 2021
There have been a few more regular and expected birds that I have been getting concerned about missing. The window has been closing for getting birds like Willow Flycatcher (I got one), Northern Waterthrush, and a couple others. That's the way it goes with a big year, especially when you work full time, have little kids, a wife, and ride your bike everywhere! You get some birds and you have some tough misses. You just can't get all the birds, in spite of effort trying for them. I held out hope for this group of species and I have been putting time into trying to find them. 

On 29 August, Julie Price posted a gorgeous photo of one of these missing birds: Northern Waterthrush, and at Chatfield State Park! We messaged and I got intel on the specific location of the bird. The habitat at this spot was perfect, but it was a little spot birders don't often hit because access isn't real easy. Further, Julie found the bird while kayaking! 

I headed out early on the 30th and hoped it would still be around. There's a lot of things that run through my mind while riding to chase a bird. First and foremost, is it still there? Is it gone? How hard will it be to find the bird? How much time can I commit to trying to find this bird? I have work to do today, oh, and I have to take the kids to swim lessons after work. What am I going to feed the kids for dinner? I have to be home by 1030 to go do this or that with the family. What did the kids have for breakfast? I'm hungry. I bet they had pancakes. I want pancakes. Would Joe tell me I was crazy for chasing this bird? Would Joe have brought me coffee and donuts and celebrated finding the bird? Now I really want coffee and donuts. Did anyone empty the dishwasher this morning? Watch out for that pothole! I may need to eat some donuts after this. So many random thoughts.

Anyway, I arrived at Chatfield on the bike path nearest the waterthrush spot. I change into tennis shoes and carry the bike across a weedy field for a couple minutes and start scanning the waters edge and listening for a waterthrush. I know waterthrush can hang out for a few days during migration, so I was hopeful it would stick especially as the winds the previous night were light and from the south. I was at the end of the little inlet where the bird had been seen the previous day and after only a couple minutes I HEARD IT CALLING! I have a lot of experience with NOWAs (short for Northern Waterthrush) and call notes for some species just stick with you. I know this one. I was completely comfortable calling this one by call, but you know I wanted a photo or audio. This bird is #250, so I wanted at least a poor phone-binoc photo.

I pished a little and didn't see it. It called off an on for about 5 minutes. I didn't get eyes o it. I very rarely use playback for a variety of reasons (this could be its own blog post), but I opted to play the NOWA call note a couple times and see if it would pop up. The bird flew in after only a couple calls notes played and landed in view and just watched me. I stopped playback immediately and it sat there for probably 4 minutes, bobbing its tail, calling, and just staring me down. Glorious! I managed some digibin photos and some Blair Witch Project quality handheld video. I also recorded the calls on the voice memo app on my phone. See/hear it all in my list. https://ebird.org/checklist/S93938577

It is hard to believe I hit my reasonable, yet, lofty species target of 250 species with FOUR months and a day left in the year! Amazing. Humbling. Unbelievable. I don't really have words for this yet. I've had amazing luck and so much fun doing this all year. We are doing it for Joe and for the future generation of ornithologists. What a blast this has been so far!

Northern Waterthrush!

Happy GREEN Big Year birder celebrating #250! Scene of the bird :) 


Carrying the bike cyclocross style.

The rank field that was between the bike path and #250.



In my elation of picking up a NOWA, I text a few friends to share the news and excitement. I've birded with Joey Kellner a lot this year, and he's at Chatfield a lot too, so I text him as well. Turns out Joey is at Chatfield! I ended up going to the sand spit, but Joey wasn't there anymore. I'm scanning the reservoir anyway, and after a few minutes I get a call from Joey and it went something like, " JAEGER, uh, it was being followed by a Ring-billed Gull. It went south into South Platte Delta. I lost it." Something like that anyway. WHAT? A Jaeger! It is time for a Long-tailed Jaeger though. I think to myself that there's NO way I could get so lucky and get a long-tailed today too. We coordinate scanning and after an hour we give up. It was definitely not hanging out in South Platte Delta as I spent nearly an hour scanning. BUMMER. I didn't get THAT lucky today. 

The emotional ups and downs of this big year are crazy! I was over the moon happy with the NOWA and hitting 250, then the thrill of a jaeger chase and the possibility of getting #251 so soon after #250, and then the sinking feeling when its gone and never seen again. It was a great morning regardless, and I ate a donut when I got home anyway. OK, we don't keep donuts at the house, but I'm certain I gorged on whatever I could find. If we kept donuts at the house, they wouldn't last long anyway between me and the kids!

Totals:
Green Big Year species list: 250 (as of Aug 30)
Miles ridden: 1850 miles (as of August 30)
Elevation gain in 2021: ~78,000 ft
# of rides with a frozen water bottle and broken shifter: 1 
# of dropped water bottles at stop lights: 1
# of trips to Chatfield State Park: 27
# of Rock Wrens hopping around on my bike: 1
2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year Species List

Pledge or donate here. Thank you.

https://cobirds.org/CFO/Grants/

Thanks for reading!

Scott




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year

Welcome to the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year Blog! The Colorado birding community lost one of its pillars when Joe Roller passed away in November 2020. Joe was a fountain of birding lore and loved people as much as birds. Many considered him a beloved friend.  To honor Joe's legacy, I've partnered with Colorado Field Ornithologists (CFO) and created the Joe Roller Memorial Grant to support bird research in Colorado.  The grant will be initially funded by pledges raised through my 2021 Green Big Year, a green (carbon-free) birding initiative. I will be walking or riding my bike from my house in Littleton, Colorado to see as many species as possible in 2021. My 2020 green list is currently 244 species, but I am aiming for at least 250 bird species in 2021!  I'll update this blog with adventures, birds, and photos throughout the year. We are taking per-species pledges and flat tax-deductible donations towards the Grant online at  https://Cobirds.org/CFO/Grants . (Scr

The bird that topped the Colorado Green Big Year record

17 December 2021 On Tuesday, December 14th, Steve Barlow found a female Black-and-white Warbler at Wheat Ridge Greenbelt in well, Wheat Ridge. Of course I had three full days of meetings and calls and there was no way I could go for the bird until Friday the 17th. I saw regular reports of the bird in the same area, and a little to the west over those 3 days. It turns out there is a second Black-and-white, a boldly marked male, to the west of the female most of us were chasing. Anyway, I was hopeful it'd stick another day in spite of some chilly night time temperatures.  I got up on Friday and it was about 16 degrees. I decided to wait until it was in the mid-20's before I headed out. As I'm hoping to get word about the bird being present, I get a text from none other than Thomas Heinrich with a message about the bird being there and "where are YOU?!" Thomas knew I was going for it on Friday morning, but he didn't tell me he was going to leave at 4:15 am on his

Big ride for big time green year birds.

First and foremost, thank you for all the pledges and donations! The total pledges so far have been astonishing! Between donations and pledges per species (assuming I hit 250 species), we are about 70% of the way to our $20,000 target! I think Joe would probably roll his eyes and tell a joke about the time we chased what would be his first Arapahoe county Brown Thrasher at Cherry Creek State Park. We saw the thrasher fly away and vanish and then Joe gave me slack for not getting him better looks!   Please consider a tax-deductible donation or pledge per species (pledges do not need to be paid until the 2021 green year ends). The pledges and donations are motivating me to get out and get birds. I'm truly humbled. Thank you. This is going to be such a fun year! Click the link (scroll to the bottom) to pledge or donate!  https://cobirds.org/CFO/Grants/ January 2021 overview (and then the birds!). I thought I'd start off with a little overview of my general strategy for this green