Skip to main content

What birds do you still need?


UPDATED: 30 August 2021. Northern Waterthrush #250!
UPDATED: 17 Oct 2021. Neotropic Cormorant and Pacific Loon, #264 and 265!
UPDATED: 29 Dec 2021. Trumpeter swan was #284.

Several folks have asked what do you still need? Do you need this bird or that bird? I have gotten so many species already (247 species as of August 23), so what's left to get? A LOT!

I realize no one is following my list nor knows what I still need, so I thought I could provide a needs list for you all to memorize (just kidding). :)  But seriously, below is the list of more possible/probable birds that I can still get this year. The following list is the Code 1-4's that I can still get. Recall Code 1 are pretty easy birds (I have one left to get), whereas Code 4 (and 5) are rarities or tough to get from my house. I did not include the Code 5's below as they are all really rare stuff, so if you hear about a mega-rarity around here like Brant, Arctic Tern, Little Gull, Red Knot, Vermilion or Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, or other goodies not on the list below, please let me know! ssomershoe AT gmail DOT com

Another post is coming about my strategy (or lack there of) and plans for the rest of the year. And yes, the plan is really to just ride a LOT and get what I can get!

I can't wait for fall migration. it's going to be a blast!

Species
Code 1


Sabine's Gull


13 Sept at Chatfield.


Code 2
Snow Goose


Sandhill Crane


27 Oct at my house. Phew!

Pacific Loon


17 Oct at Cherry Creek SP

Marsh Wren


I got one on 26 Aug!!

Northern Waterthrush


Got it for #250 on 30 Aug!


Code 3
Ross's Goose


18 Nov 2021, Marston Isthmus Park

Surf Scoter


Marston, 18 Oct

White-winged Scoter


Black Scoter


Red-necked Grebe


Black-bellied Plover


20 Oct, Chatfield!

Stilt Sandpiper


Sanderling 


Got sanderling!

Dunlin


22 Nov, Cherry Creek

Pectoral Sandpiper


Got pectoral!

Caspian Tern


Got it! 

Common Tern


Yay! Got some!

Red-throated Loon


Barn Owl


Willow Flycatcher


Got it!

Cassin's Vireo


Got one on 9 Sept, Chatfield, where else?

Clark's Nutcracker


Nutcracker should be a code 4.

Golden-crowned Kinglet


White-throated Sparrow


15 Oct, S. Platte Rez

Black-and-white Warbler


Tennessee Warbler


Nashville Warbler


Got one on 9 Sept, Chatfield, where else?

Blackpoll Warbler


Townsend's Warbler


I got one in my yard and later Plum Creek.

Rose-breasted Grosbeak



Code 4 
American Three-toed   Woodpecker



Lapland Longspur


Chestnut-collared   Longspur


Fly by at Chatfield sand spit! 14 Sept

Thick-billed Longspur


Trumpeter Swan


Tundra Swan


Mexican Duck


Dusky Grouse


Yellow-billed Cuckoo


American Golden-Plover


Red Phalarope


Pomarine Jaeger


Parasitic Jaeger


Long-tailed Jaeger


long staying Chatfield bird

Short-billed (formerly Mew) Gull



Great Black-backed Gull


Yellow-billed Loon


Cattle Egret


12 Oct, Chatfield!

Rough-legged Hawk


9 Nov, my patch!

Northern Pygmy-Owl


Ash-throated Flycatcher


Yellow-throated Vireo


Philadelphia Vireo


Varied Thrush


Pine Grosbeak


Clearly Pine Grosbeak should be a code 5.

Common Redpoll


18 Nov 2021, Marston Isthmus Park

Snow Bunting


Cassin's Sparrow


Field Sparrow


Fox Sparrow


Nelson's Sparrow


Bobolink


Baltimore Oriole


Hooded Warbler


Magnolia Warbler


Bay-breasted Warbler


Blackburnian Warbler


Chestnut-sided Warbler


Black-throated Blue   Warbler


Pine Warbler


Yellow-throated Warbler


Prairie Warbler


Black-throated Green   Warbler


 

CODE 5's 

Black Swift

Ruby-throated     Hummingbird

Upland Sandpiper

Canada Jay

Pinyon Jay

Brant

Piping Plover

Snowy Plover

Hudsonian Godwit

Ruddy Turnstone

Red Knot

White-rumped Sandpiper

Buff-breasted Sandpiper

Short-billed Dowitcher

Black-legged Kittiwake

Little Gull

Western Gull

Slaty-backed Gull

Glaucous-winged Gull

Arctic Tern

Neotropic Cormorant           

White Ibis

Glossy Ibis

Mississippi Kite

Flammulated Owl

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Eastern Wood-Pewee

Alder Flycatcher

Vermilion Flycatcher

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

Blue-headed Vireo

Purple Martin

Pacific Wren

Sedge Wren

Carolina Wren

Bewick's Wren

Gray-cheeked Thrush

Wood Thrush

Bohemian Waxwing

Purple Finch

Worm-eating Warbler

Golden-winged Warbler

Blue-winged Warbler

Prothonotary Warbler

Northern Cardinal

Painted Bunting

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


  





Comments

  1. Your not giving yourself enough credit. Clark's Nutcrackers and Pine Grosbeaks should be gimmies given your cycling skills!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year

Welcome to the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year Blog! The Colorado birding community lost one of its pillars when Joe Roller passed away in November 2020. Joe was a fountain of birding lore and loved people as much as birds. Many considered him a beloved friend.  To honor Joe's legacy, I've partnered with Colorado Field Ornithologists (CFO) and created the Joe Roller Memorial Grant to support bird research in Colorado.  The grant will be initially funded by pledges raised through my 2021 Green Big Year, a green (carbon-free) birding initiative. I will be walking or riding my bike from my house in Littleton, Colorado to see as many species as possible in 2021. My 2020 green list is currently 244 species, but I am aiming for at least 250 bird species in 2021!  I'll update this blog with adventures, birds, and photos throughout the year. We are taking per-species pledges and flat tax-deductible donations towards the Grant online at  https://Cobirds.org/CFO/Grants . (Scr

The bird that topped the Colorado Green Big Year record

17 December 2021 On Tuesday, December 14th, Steve Barlow found a female Black-and-white Warbler at Wheat Ridge Greenbelt in well, Wheat Ridge. Of course I had three full days of meetings and calls and there was no way I could go for the bird until Friday the 17th. I saw regular reports of the bird in the same area, and a little to the west over those 3 days. It turns out there is a second Black-and-white, a boldly marked male, to the west of the female most of us were chasing. Anyway, I was hopeful it'd stick another day in spite of some chilly night time temperatures.  I got up on Friday and it was about 16 degrees. I decided to wait until it was in the mid-20's before I headed out. As I'm hoping to get word about the bird being present, I get a text from none other than Thomas Heinrich with a message about the bird being there and "where are YOU?!" Thomas knew I was going for it on Friday morning, but he didn't tell me he was going to leave at 4:15 am on his

Big ride for big time green year birds.

First and foremost, thank you for all the pledges and donations! The total pledges so far have been astonishing! Between donations and pledges per species (assuming I hit 250 species), we are about 70% of the way to our $20,000 target! I think Joe would probably roll his eyes and tell a joke about the time we chased what would be his first Arapahoe county Brown Thrasher at Cherry Creek State Park. We saw the thrasher fly away and vanish and then Joe gave me slack for not getting him better looks!   Please consider a tax-deductible donation or pledge per species (pledges do not need to be paid until the 2021 green year ends). The pledges and donations are motivating me to get out and get birds. I'm truly humbled. Thank you. This is going to be such a fun year! Click the link (scroll to the bottom) to pledge or donate!  https://cobirds.org/CFO/Grants/ January 2021 overview (and then the birds!). I thought I'd start off with a little overview of my general strategy for this green