Skip to main content

Wait, WHAT, a SHORT-EARED OWL?!


13 April 2021

One the hardest things about doing a Green Big Year is not just riding everywhere birding, and managing work and family, but finding time to write blog posts to tell the stories! Frustratingly, I get some of my greatest ideas while riding and then I forget them by the time I get home. Of course, they don’t come back to me when I sit down at the computer.

I have been drafting a post about the challenges of a green year which doesn’t have any bird stories, but it is not writing itself. However, this adventure/misadventure is one for the story books!

About noon, I see a report of a Burrowing Owl at Bear Creek Lake Park, which is about 7-8 miles away as the cyclist rides. Burrowing Owl is a tough bird for me to get. They drop in now and again, but this is one I should chase. I really didn’t have the time to go, but I could get there and back before a critical meeting. I decide to go. I told a couple friends about it, hoping to spread word fast. I’m about to leave and see a message that it’s actually a SHORT-EARED OWL! WHAT!?!?!?! This isn’t a nemesis bird for me in Colorado because I've never chased one, but I have not seen one in the state. This is also a VERY good bird for the metro area.

I’m riding over, trying to manage my heart rate (which is way too high), and get a couple miles in and my shifter starts sticking and it quits working. I’m left with essentially a single speed bike. Well, I have my big and small front chain rings, but one gear in the back, and, I guess fortunately, it’s the easiest one. I guess this is better than the big gear! I push onward, questioning whether I should be going. The gearing situation is ok on the hills, but I can’t go fast enough on descents or flats because I don’t have any bigger gears! 

To add to the situation, I grab a water bottle for a drink and it’s FROZEN! The old fridge in our garage doesn't manage the temperature very well apparently, and I was in too much of a hurry to notice it was frozen solid! Thank goodness my other bottle wasn’t frozen. I push on and am descending a hill in Bear Creek Lake Park and flush TWO SAGE THRASHERS!  My first of the year and I hoped they were a harbinger of good things to come. I start rolling slowly up the dam on the north side of the reservoir and stop to try to find out where the owl is. I see birders scattered around, but no one is looking at anything. My heart sinks. I don’t have a lot of time to be messing around. 

I then get a call from Rob Raker and he’s on the bird! I see him too, but it’s way out into the big burned area to the west of the dam. I have no idea how to get there. Rob gave me intel, I thanked him, maybe hung up while he was still talking to me (sorry Rob), and started up the dam the rest of the way with Myron G following me in his car (which is still a much easier method of transport by the way). I ride down this gravel road towards Rob, ride through the burned field, which is just greening up after the fire, and eventually ditch the bike (dropping my chain) and I sprinted across the field to him. That must have been a sight! I’m glad there’s no photos or video of that!


The owl is WAY out there, I promise.

Rob got me on the bird, which is SO FAR AWAY, but no question on the identification. I tried to get horrible digibin photos, but I completely blew that. I didn’t even get the blob in my binocs to circle for fun. My photos were all just a shade too far to the right. Rob has nice photos of the bird though. Myron G caught up to us and we all enjoyed the distant bird. We did fist bumps and some group selfies (how nerdy!? I’m not a selfie kind of person). Other than the awkward selfies, it was amazing. Then I had to slog home on a broken bike. Luckily I got online for my work Teams meeting ONE minute before it started. Win!  What a trip. That was a rewarding ride and a GREAT green big year bird. 

Turns out my bike needs a little work, so I’m now riding my back up bike for hopefully only a week. 


Thanks to Rob Raker for this shot of me fixing my bike.

I NEVER expected a short-eared owl on this green year. What an incredible bonus bird. I guess that's what this is all about. A lot of unexpected. It was my first short-eared in Colorado and a huge bird for my home county list, but neither list is really important to me, nor do I chase birds for them. However, what a green big year bird!! 

I had planned to rest this day because I was still tired from 3 rides in the previous 2 days, and I don’t recover like I did when I was racing at 28 years old! But a little adrenaline and the thrill of a potentially rewarding green chase will get you there. That one was heck of a ride!

I have some other good stories I hope to share with you all soon. You thought this was wild and fun (and maybe a little crazy).

Please consider a pledge or donation. Click the link (scroll to the bottom) to pledge or donate! 
https://cobirds.org/CFO/Grants/

Green Big Year species list: 136
Miles ridden: 705 miles (as of Apr 13)
# of rides with a frozen water bottle and broken shifter: 1 
2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year Species List


I don't know what I'm doing here other than a selfie with a Short-eared Owl a half mile away behind me.

One happy gang of birders. Myron looks like he's out for a summer hike! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year

Welcome to the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year Blog! The Colorado birding community lost one of its pillars when Joe Roller passed away in November 2020. Joe was a fountain of birding lore and loved people as much as birds. Many considered him a beloved friend.  To honor Joe's legacy, I've partnered with Colorado Field Ornithologists (CFO) and created the Joe Roller Memorial Grant to support bird research in Colorado.  The grant will be initially funded by pledges raised through my 2021 Green Big Year, a green (carbon-free) birding initiative. I will be walking or riding my bike from my house in Littleton, Colorado to see as many species as possible in 2021. My 2020 green list is currently 244 species, but I am aiming for at least 250 bird species in 2021!  I'll update this blog with adventures, birds, and photos throughout the year. We are taking per-species pledges and flat tax-deductible donations towards the Grant online at  https://Cobirds.org/CFO/Grants . (Scr

Big ride for big time green year birds.

First and foremost, thank you for all the pledges and donations! The total pledges so far have been astonishing! Between donations and pledges per species (assuming I hit 250 species), we are about 70% of the way to our $20,000 target! I think Joe would probably roll his eyes and tell a joke about the time we chased what would be his first Arapahoe county Brown Thrasher at Cherry Creek State Park. We saw the thrasher fly away and vanish and then Joe gave me slack for not getting him better looks!   Please consider a tax-deductible donation or pledge per species (pledges do not need to be paid until the 2021 green year ends). The pledges and donations are motivating me to get out and get birds. I'm truly humbled. Thank you. This is going to be such a fun year! Click the link (scroll to the bottom) to pledge or donate!  https://cobirds.org/CFO/Grants/ January 2021 overview (and then the birds!). I thought I'd start off with a little overview of my general strategy for this green

The bird that topped the Colorado Green Big Year record

17 December 2021 On Tuesday, December 14th, Steve Barlow found a female Black-and-white Warbler at Wheat Ridge Greenbelt in well, Wheat Ridge. Of course I had three full days of meetings and calls and there was no way I could go for the bird until Friday the 17th. I saw regular reports of the bird in the same area, and a little to the west over those 3 days. It turns out there is a second Black-and-white, a boldly marked male, to the west of the female most of us were chasing. Anyway, I was hopeful it'd stick another day in spite of some chilly night time temperatures.  I got up on Friday and it was about 16 degrees. I decided to wait until it was in the mid-20's before I headed out. As I'm hoping to get word about the bird being present, I get a text from none other than Thomas Heinrich with a message about the bird being there and "where are YOU?!" Thomas knew I was going for it on Friday morning, but he didn't tell me he was going to leave at 4:15 am on his