Skip to main content

January 1-2 Rarity Round Up!

2021 started off with a bang! I set out to try to see as many of the locally rare birds and other scarcer species that would require chasing at some point. It was a great (cold) day.

I left my house on my bike in Littleton at 8am on New Year’s Day. It was 25 degrees F! However, I had to go for the White-winged Crossbill near Holbrook park (Jefferson Co). I arrived about 9 am and there was NO ONE THERE! My heart sank. I didn't see the bird right away. Fortunately Brian Johnson showed up a couple minutes later and said a birder who was leaving said they’d seen it, but it flew south. Ten minutes later or so the bird shows. Huge start to the year!


Horrible phone-binoc (digibin) photo.

Here's a better photo from a couple days earlier (and it was a lifer for me!)

After celebrating the big crossbill score (which wasn't even on my list of birds I thought I could get), I looked briefly for the Winter Wren that had been around and decided I was too cold and it was better to keep riding. I rode to the Barrow’s Goldeneye on the S Platte River in Denver Co. I had it before I even stopped the bike! I stopped and took some digibin photos of the Barrow's, picked up a few new duck species for the year and added them to my eBird list (https://ebird.org/checklist/S78389531), and rolled down towards Chatfield State Park. 
                                                   

Along the S. Platte Greenway, I picked up Greater Scaup by Reynold’s Landing (Arapahoe County). It's nice to pick up that species early on. Then I saw a birder who looked familiar. It was Brian Johnson! This is the moment when I decided I was doing this the hard way. Ha!

At the area below Chatfield Dam (Douglas County), I picked up Swamp Sparrow and Northern Pintail (which are few and far between for me, and I had a whopping 1 "green" pintail in 2020!), but missed Rusty Blackbird and the Long-tailed Duck at S. Platte Reservoir. I was out of time, having told my wife and family that I'd be home at lunch time (which I stretched to 12:30). On the way home I stopped at a local screech owl box and amazingly it was poking it's head out! What a GREAT bird to get on day 1!  I ended the morning with 51 species. Not a bad start.  Most importantly, I got most of my big targets. 
                                                  
Eastern Screech Owl at undisclosed location.

January 2. My family gave me a two hour window to be out in the morning (I really had to be home for lunch at 11), so I rode to S. Platte Reservoir again (it takes me about 15 min to ride there). I got the Long-tailed Duck after much effort. The look was very unsatisfying and brief, but I got it. The bird dives a LOT and drove me mad. Hopefully I can get back and get more satisfying looks. I went back to try to get Rusty Blackbirds at the usual beaver dam site at Chatfield and was about to give up because I needed to start home and heard one call. I then saw it foraging on the beaver lodge! Lighting was horrible and the bird wasn't showing well, so no photos. Another birder there got it for a lifer! It's always fun to share a lifer with someone! I saw this same birder at the crossbill the day before. It's a small world. 

I had started feeling a little funny on the morning of the 2nd, but not enough to deter me from riding. That evening I really started having symptoms of something and it turned out to be the shingles. I have been pretty much laid up since, but got a couple new green year birds in the yard like White-crowned Sparrow and White-breasted Nuthatch. At least the year started strong. Hopefully I will get past this and be able to have the energy to get out on the bike in a week or two. I also hope I can put on a helmet without pain! I guess it's better to get this now than in May!

Thank you for all the pledges so far! It is humbling, inspiring, and motivating! I think Joe would be pleased, but maybe he'd scoff at all this a little too. See link below to pledge or donate. As a reminder, a pledge doesn't need to be paid until I get my final species total at the end of the year! 
Scott

Total green species to date (as of 5 Jan): 64 species
Miles ridden: 49 miles
***I'll try to figure out how to post a list of species I have seen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year

Welcome to the 2021 Joe Roller Memorial Green Big Year Blog! The Colorado birding community lost one of its pillars when Joe Roller passed away in November 2020. Joe was a fountain of birding lore and loved people as much as birds. Many considered him a beloved friend.  To honor Joe's legacy, I've partnered with Colorado Field Ornithologists (CFO) and created the Joe Roller Memorial Grant to support bird research in Colorado.  The grant will be initially funded by pledges raised through my 2021 Green Big Year, a green (carbon-free) birding initiative. I will be walking or riding my bike from my house in Littleton, Colorado to see as many species as possible in 2021. My 2020 green list is currently 244 species, but I am aiming for at least 250 bird species in 2021!  I'll update this blog with adventures, birds, and photos throughout the year. We are taking per-species pledges and flat tax-deductible donations towards the Grant online at  https://Cobirds.org/CFO/Grants . (Scr

The bird that topped the Colorado Green Big Year record

17 December 2021 On Tuesday, December 14th, Steve Barlow found a female Black-and-white Warbler at Wheat Ridge Greenbelt in well, Wheat Ridge. Of course I had three full days of meetings and calls and there was no way I could go for the bird until Friday the 17th. I saw regular reports of the bird in the same area, and a little to the west over those 3 days. It turns out there is a second Black-and-white, a boldly marked male, to the west of the female most of us were chasing. Anyway, I was hopeful it'd stick another day in spite of some chilly night time temperatures.  I got up on Friday and it was about 16 degrees. I decided to wait until it was in the mid-20's before I headed out. As I'm hoping to get word about the bird being present, I get a text from none other than Thomas Heinrich with a message about the bird being there and "where are YOU?!" Thomas knew I was going for it on Friday morning, but he didn't tell me he was going to leave at 4:15 am on his

Big ride for big time green year birds.

First and foremost, thank you for all the pledges and donations! The total pledges so far have been astonishing! Between donations and pledges per species (assuming I hit 250 species), we are about 70% of the way to our $20,000 target! I think Joe would probably roll his eyes and tell a joke about the time we chased what would be his first Arapahoe county Brown Thrasher at Cherry Creek State Park. We saw the thrasher fly away and vanish and then Joe gave me slack for not getting him better looks!   Please consider a tax-deductible donation or pledge per species (pledges do not need to be paid until the 2021 green year ends). The pledges and donations are motivating me to get out and get birds. I'm truly humbled. Thank you. This is going to be such a fun year! Click the link (scroll to the bottom) to pledge or donate!  https://cobirds.org/CFO/Grants/ January 2021 overview (and then the birds!). I thought I'd start off with a little overview of my general strategy for this green